AP, IB and Transfer Credit

AP Credit

AP credit in Physics can be used to earn course credit. Students can request course credit after satisfying the requirements listed here using a form on the Office of the Registrar's website. Students who wish to have AP credit notations reflected on their academic record must seek these notations and ensure receipt of all required documentation well before they graduate. Completed forms should be submitted to the dean who oversees AP credit in the Office of the Dean of the College.

To earn an AP credit in Physics a student must achieve ONE of the following:

  • A score of 5 in the Physics C Mechanics exam
  • A score of 4 in the Physics C Mechanics exam PLUS a 5 in the Physics C Electricity and Magnetism exam
  • A score of 5 in both Physics 1 and Physics 2

Students with these scores who then successfully complete Physics 40, 60, 160, 470, 500, or a 1000-level physics course may receive retroactive credit for Physics 30.
While these are the requirements for earning an AP credit, they are not necessarily required for placement in a Physics course when a student enters Brown.
Students considering skipping Physics 30, 50 or 70 should consult with their Freshman Advisor or the Physics Placement Coordinator, Professor Ian Dell'Antonio.

IB Placement and Credit

Students with a minimum IB HL score of 5 in Physics may obtain retroactive credit for Physics 30 (retroactive credit requires completion of Physics 40, 60, 160, 470, 500, or a 1000-level physics course). A-levels: Same policy as IB's for retroactive Physics 0030 credit, with a minimum grade of C required for credit.

Students who have taken international certification exams should consult with a Physics Concentration Advisor, regarding placement into higher-level Physics courses.

Transfer Credit

Students requesting transfer credit for college courses taken at other institutions should consult with Undergraduate Student Affairs Manager Elyse Souliere. 

Preapprovals for courses can be done exclusively through ASK:

  • Sign in to your ASK account.
  • Select "More" > "Transfer Credit" > category "Study Away" > "New"
  •  You can submit your syllabus and institution information there. You will then need to meet with a transfer representative in the DOC office during open hours to get their approval of the institution at which you plan to take the course. Elyse Souliere can advise you as to with whom you need to meet. After you have completed these steps, Professor Jay Tang will be able to look at your request and approve or deny it based on it's equivalency to our Physics courses.

If you are requesting credit for the equivalent of PHYS 30 or 40; please note - the external course must have a lab component.